Wednesday, November 16, 2011

apologies

there’s a limit to how long
I can keep saying I’m sorry I’m sorry
until the words start to taste like sand
and I’m huddled under a bridge in
broad daylight.  I’m sorry but isn’t good
enough, it doesn’t make the magnets
in my belly start to pull themselves out.
The river is swimming next to me
and I’m thinking how the metals in water
are suffocating the fish, whole schools
of them, sputtering.  Gills clogged. 
Floating never felt this guilty.
  All I want
is for the metal in my bones to know
that your sentiment is real and the
sediment in the river will one day
collect itself before a dam or a boulder
and will grow so heavy.
When we weigh
ourselves we won’t be able to tell
what is us and what is all of the metal
we carry around because no one
is sorry enough, sorry down to the 
iron in the center of blood cells,
mercury in tuna steaks, lead in the
paint on kids plastic toys, fertilizers
in storm drains, the earring I once 
swallowed.
Sand is just a glass
bottle hit against a boulder a thousand
million times, what happens when we 
say I’m sorry I’m sorry over and over

No comments: